The blogs posted on this site (updated weekly) contain teachings from the word of God to help you know the Lord and grow in your relationship with Him. The title is taken from Judges chapter seven. God had called Gideon to deliver the children of Israel from the Midianites. As Gideon and his army attacked the army of Midian, they cried out, "The sword of the Lord and the sword of Gideon!" May you find God's word to be a sword that cuts away everything that keeps you from walking closer to the Lord.



Thursday, November 12, 2009

Draw Near to God

Hebrews 10:19-22- "Therefore brethern, having boldness to enter the Holiest by the blood of Jesus, by a new and living way which He consecrated for us, through the veil, that is, His flesh, and having a High Priest over the house of God, let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water."

In the last two blogs I have shared what the Bible says about having a relationship with God, and in this week's blog I would like to share some things the Lord has shown me that may help you to grow closer to Him. As we look at this passage in Hebrews I want you to notice the words, "draw near," In James 4:8 we are told: "Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands you sinners and purify your hearts you double-minded." The fact that we are told to draw near shows that there are steps we can take to get closer to the Lord. (I would like to point out that the cleansing and purifying mentioned in this verse is done as we get closer to God.) The first step is to receive Christ as Lord and Savior. Our lives as Christians after we trust in Jesus can be a life of us getting closer to God every day.

The passage we began with in Hebrews states that we can draw near "in full assurance of faith." This means we take steps knowing that we will get closer to God. There are some who have the attitude: "I just can't get closer to God." These people seem to always have an excuse for why they "can't." Regardless of how close you may be to the Lord right now there is always more. The fact that we are told to draw near means we get to decide how close we are to the Lord! How close do you want to be to God? What steps are you willing to take to get closer to Him?

The "Holiest" mentioned is the part of the ancient Jewish temple called "the Holy of Holies." This was the part of the temple that contained "the ark of the covenant" which represented God's presence among His people. Entering the Holiest refers to entering God's presence. We are told that we can enter God's presence boldly! I believe this means coming to Him as we are. It seems too good to be true that imperfect people could ever approach a holy God just as they are, and it would be too good to be true if not for the blood fo Jesus. Isaiah 59:1-2 says, "Behold the Lord's hand is not shortened that it cannot save; nor His ear heavy that it cannot hear. But your iniquities have separated you from your God; and your sins have hidden His face from you, so that He will not hear." Sin separates people from God, but every single sin any of us have ever commited has been completely wiped away because Jesus died on the cross and rose again. Sin has been dealt with and now we can approach God and have a relationship with Him. Jesus said that He is the way to the Father. We experience an abundant life (even in the midst of challenges) when we put our trust in Jesus and call on Him in faith. As we do this and begin drawing closer to God He will change us.

The Bible gives us two ways to begin drawing near to God:
1. Prayer
Psalm 145:18- "The Lord is near to all who call upon Him, to all who call upon Him in truth."
Calling upon God is praying, and prayer is a conversation with God. I can recall many times that I have simply started talking to God in the same way I may talk to you (though I do try to always give God the respect He deserves) and found myself feeling God's presence. When this happens the time I spend in prayer is not just a ritual, nor is it just me saying something: I am actually spending time with God. I encourage you to begin talking to God. You can do this anywhere and spend time with Him. Another key to prayer is to listen to what God has to say. You may not hear an audible voice, but if you listen He will speak to your heart and you will know when it's Him (In John 10 Jesus said His sheep-His people- know His voice). I have also found that focusing on God helps.

2. Bible Study
In John 5:39-40 Jesus told the Jewish religous leaders: "You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me. But you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life."
The Bible is something God uses to draw us closer to Himself. The Bible does this by showing us who He is and how we can come to Him. I have found that as I read the Bible God uses it to speak to me in very personal ways. I do study the Bible but when I study it's more than that: it's a time in which God uses His word to speak to me and show me who He is. As you study the Bible I encourage you to start by asking God to speak to you through what you read. I have done this and God is faithful to do so every day. Personally I have found it helpful to take notes. Many times I write down things I notice and as I do the Lord starts showing me more. I have also found it helpful to look back over what the Lord has shown me. You can also make use of the internet to find resources to help you- but start by reading the Bible and asking God to speak to you.

Hebrews 11:6 says, "But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for He who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him."
God is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him. Jesus has made the way for you to grow closer to God. The issue now is: how close do you want to be to God? If we diligently press on without looking back or being satisfied where we are, we will find ourselves growing closer to God than we could have ever imagined.

1 comment:

  1. Excellant message Joseph. I liked when you asked: "How close do you want to be to God? What steps are you willing to take to get closer to Him?" It challenges all of us to evaluate ourselves closer, face our shortcomings as they're revealed and recommit ourselves to greater strides toward fellowship with our Heavenly Father.

    ReplyDelete