The blogs posted on this site (updated weekly) contain teachings from the word of God to help you know the Lord and grow in your relationship with Him. The title is taken from Judges chapter seven. God had called Gideon to deliver the children of Israel from the Midianites. As Gideon and his army attacked the army of Midian, they cried out, "The sword of the Lord and the sword of Gideon!" May you find God's word to be a sword that cuts away everything that keeps you from walking closer to the Lord.



Monday, February 22, 2010

Changed by Grace


Many times teaching on God's grace leads some to wonder if the message of grace encourages people to sin. While there may be some who do use it as an excuse I believe that a true understanding of God's grace will not encourage a person to sin but will actually help them to walk in holiness. I believe the Bible is clear that we can all be changed by grace, and I would like to share some things the Bible says about God's grace and it's influence in our lives.

Romans 6:1-2- "What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? Certainly not! How shall we who died to sin live any longer in it?"

Here Paul addressed this issue, asking if God's grace allows people to continue in sin. His answer was "no" or more precisely, "Certainly not!" This phrase was often used to describe something that was completely unthinkable. In this passage, and the rest of Romans 6, we are told why the answer is no: believers are already dead to sin. Basically God did not simply forgive us, He made us into a totally new creature. 2Corinthians 5:17 says, "Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new."

God in His grace reached into my life when I totally helpless, brought me out of darkness and into His marvelous light, and made me into a new creature. Now my desire is to serve Him in everything I do, not because I "have to," but because of what He did for me when I could do nothing for myself. When I was dead in sin Jesus breathed new life into me and now He has enabled me to reflect His nature to those around me. This is the message of grace, and I believe that as we renew our minds to this truth we will be changed and this will become a reality in our lives (see Romans 12:2).

Titus 2:11-12- "For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men, teaching us that denying ungodliness and worldly lusts we should live soberly, righteously, and godly in this present age."

In this verse it says that the grace of God teaches us. This speaks of the fact that having a true understanding of God's grace will motivate us to walk in holiness. This summer I found myself thinking about the finished work of Jesus Christ on the cross, and recently I have seen the truth of God's amazing grace more than ever before. As a result I saw more growth and experienced greater victories than ever before. It came, not as a result of me saying, "I can do it," but when I said, "Lord I can't do this, I need Your mercy and grace to do this in me."

One of the greatest of miracles is this work that God, in His grace, does in our hearts. Millions have seen God work this miracle in their lives through the ages, I am seeing God work this miracle in my own life, and God can work this miracle in Your life.

I would like to end this week's blog by sharing a quote from Charles Spurgeon that goes along with the thoughts I have shared:
"I cannot conceive it possible for anyone truly to receive Christ as Savior and
yet not receive Him as Lord. A man who is really saved by grace does not need to
be told that he is under solemn obligations to serve Christ. The new life within
him tells him that. Instead of regarding it as a burden, he gladly surrenders
himself- spirit, soul, and body- to the Lord who has redeemed him, reckoning
this to be his reasonable service."

May everyone who reads this experience the miracle of God's grace and fully enter into His rest.

1 comment: